Borroms' Good Eats

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Recipe : Meatballs in Creamy Mushroom Sauce

To start off this food blog I thought the most appropriate thing would be to post the recipe that I followed to make my first successful (ie. edible) dinner for my family. The recipe is from the great James Barber (RIP), also known as the Urban Peasant. This recipe is simple and straightforward. It came out right the first time I made it, unlike the spareribs I cooked to near carbon form in an earlier dinner making attempt. I loved watching James Barber on TV. The guy was practically on life support and just plodded along slooooooowly. I wonder how I ever stayed awake during his show. His dishes are simple and clean with an understated touch of sophistication. In many ways, his recipes were perfect for the beginner cook. I remember coming home from Mass excited about cooking this dinner. It was a way to prove that I wasn't totally useless in the kitchen but it was also a way for me to give comfort and happiness to my family. So when things turned out well, I was glad. That was a start ... and I never looked back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meatballs in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Recipe adapted from James Barber















Meatballs:
1 lb or 2 cups lean ground beef
1/2 c bread crumbs
1 onion finely chopped
2 eggs
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Grated orange rind
1 tbsp butter

Mushroom sauce:
2 c sliced mushrooms
1/2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cornstarch or flour
1 c milk
1 c frozen peas
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Juice of 1 small orange

Procedure:
Meatballs: Combine all meatball ingredients and stir. Shape into small balls. On medium heat, fry meatballs in butter until golden brown and firm.
Mushroom sauce: Saute mushroom in butter for 5 to 7 minutes. Take some of the milk and add cornstarch to it. Add remaining milk and cornstarch mixture in a fry pan stirring until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Combine ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and orange juice and add to boiling milk. Stir. Return to a boil and let simmer for 15 minutes adding the peas after 7 or 9 minutes. Pour sauce over meatballs and serve.

Notes: The orange rind and orange juice are optional. Garnish dish with chopped parsley or basil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home