Borroms' Good Eats

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Kitchen Gadget Review : Silpat Baking Mat

Ok, a baking mat isn't really a kitchen 'gadget' but a high tech, innovative baking mat is. Silpat is a baking mat with a unique nonstick surface that prevents whatever you bake on it from sticking. I've used it on two occasions and on both times, it has worked flawlesly. Both times I baked some cookies on it with varying butter-sugar ratios and egg content. On my second trial, I baked 3 batches of different cookies without wiping the surface between each bake. It performed as advertised and caused me no trouble whatsoever. The only qualm I have is that the mat doesn't perfectly fit my 11 x 15 inch baking pan. Other than that, it has performed admirably. Silpat is made in France and can withstand temperatures of as low as -40 deg. F to as high as 480 deg. F. That temperature range is good enough but it would've been nice if it could withstand up to 500 deg. F because that's the max temperature in most ovens these days. It can be washed simply by wiping with a damp cloth or can be washed with a weak solution of water and soap. It's a bit expensive but it's reusable so it pays off in the long run. I got mine on sale for $7 which is quite reasonable. This 'gadget' is definitely a keeper. I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home